The basement is one of the most loved areas of a home, when it is finished. Not all homeowners are fortunate enough to have a finished basement, where the space can be utilized for virtually anything they might want. Many people use their basements as an entertainment space, party room, or extra family room. Whatever the use, a finished basement is always great for growing families and homeowners. In fact, it can even add more value to your home.
While insulation isn’t necessarily a must-have for a basement, it is very beneficial to have installed during a remodel. By completely finishing a basement with insulation installed, can make the basement feel more like a part of the home. Basements often remain cooler than the other rooms in the home and the insulation will help keep its heat in and to keep any water out.
Benefits of Insulated Basements
Insulating the walls of a basement or insulating any room in your home will only be beneficial. Insulation is the key to turning a room into a place where people can gather comfortably. Below are the many things you can benefit from by having your basement insulated.
- Save money on heating costs. You will save a substantial amount of money every year by having insulation in your basement.
- As long as the insulation is installed properly, water will not damage it and the insulation will be more effective in keeping the basement dry and warm.
- After insulation is put up, drywall goes over it. This creates a more structured room that resembles the other areas of the home.
- Insulation protects the basement from experiencing extreme temperature fluctuations. Not only do extreme temperatures raise energy costs, but make the basement’s internal temperature fluctuate more as well. Insulation will make the room more comfortable.
- Insulation can actually help water pipes from freezing by keeping them warmer.
- The entire basement’s foundation can be protected from the accumulation of water. When a basement is remodeled with insulated walls and the drywall put up, the basement’s interior will remain safer from outside damage.
- Install energy efficient awning windows to your basement.
Energy efficient awning windows are ideal replacement windows for basement. They’re considered more contemporary, stylish and aesthetically pleasing than hopper and sliding windows. Awning windows allow better passage of light and ventilation and are generally considered to be very secure for basement. They can also be placed high on walls to provide good lighting for the room.Moreover, they are safest windows against burglaries. They come in variety of styles from sliding to tilting.
As you can see, having your basement insulated is very beneficial to you as the homeowner, as well as anyone else living in the home. The finished basement will be more comfortable for guests and create a wonderful living space, where people can gather for some fun or relaxation. The insulation will eventually pay off as it continues to save you money on energy costs and as it further protects the basement from water damage.
Deborah Salinas is my name and I am a contented homemaker who works from dawn to dusk for the well being of my family. I love everything which makes my home look elegant and stylish. I am an absolute family person and I try my best in bringing down heaven within the four walls of my home. I live with my husband and two handsome sons in Toronto.