The age of information is here whether we want to accept it or not. Information, on any topic, is available to anyone and everyone at the touch of a button.
Though many in the housing industry see this as a hindrance, manufactured home financing companies see this as an opportunity. An opportunity to educate the masses on today’s manufactured homes and the benefits they provide.
Here are a few of the most frequently asked manufactured home questions and answers:
1. I’ve always heard manufactured homes are cheap and unreliable. If I’m already looking to buy a house, shouldn’t I just go with a site-built home? Wouldn’t it save me a lot of trouble in the long run?
Not necessarily. Before, many home buyers bypassed manufactured homes for site-built homes due to the stigmas associated with mobile homes. Thought to be unreliable (due to their mobility), cheap, and un-customizable; many assumed mobile homes were not the right fit for their family.
However, as the economy shifted and home buyers were left with fewer options in the housing market, they began to realize the potential of the manufactured home. This surge in demand, coupled with recent technological advancements, fueled manufactured home companies to start producing the highest quality manufactured homes available today.
Home seekers can now enjoy durability, quality craftsmanship, luxury amenities, and full home customization should they choose to pursue the mobile home route. Not to mention, compared to site-built homes, the new manufactured homes are still more affordable and still less expensive to maintain.
2. How do manufactured homes remain affordable when they offer all of the same features as a site-built home?
This is a common question many manufactured home financing companies answer. Consumers nowadays are different than past consumers due to the amount of information available to them.
They research, read reviews, and talk to friends before even thinking about making a major purchase. That being said, it’s natural for today’s consumers to be skeptical of something that seems “too good to be true.”
This is where recent statistics can prove helpful. According to ManufacturedHousing.org, manufactured homes cost 10 to 20 percent less per square foot to build than site-built homes. This cost advantage comes from the little known fact that factories can buy substantial amounts of materials, products, and appliances at a cheaper rate than typical home builders.
Mobile home factories also utilize assembly lines to cut down on the various delays on-site construction projects usually experience. The factory process is controlled and efficient and doesn’t have to stop due to inclement weather. This leads to cheaper labor costs, faster production, and affordable market pricing.
3. How do I know a manufactured home is right for me?
Manufactured homes are a great fit for everyone – no matter your income, age, or lifestyle. In fact, the recent demand for today’s manufactured homes has dramatically changed the profile of the average mobile home owner and diversified the manufactured homeowner demographic altogether. Here are a few quick facts on today’s manufactured home owner (provided by the 2012 and 2013 report by ManufacturedHousing.org):
● 59% of manufactured homeowners were between the ages of 18 and 49.
● 41% of manufactured homeowners reported income of $30,000 to $74,999.
● 70% of new manufactured homes were located on private property.
● 27% of all mobile home households (owner-occupied) own one or more specialty product, which includes boat, motorcycle, motor home, travel trailer, sailboat, personal watercraft, ATV and snowmobile.
● 40% of mobile home owners don’t anticipate ever selling or moving from their current home.